Monday, August 27, 2012

better than revenge.

It began with birthday cake. Riley pinched out the candle flame before the song was over and I yelled at him. He quickly re-lit and made a new wish so it would actually come true.

Next, the games began. So much water was squirted and dumped. Balloons and guns and sprinklers. Then Riley brought out a literal bow and arrow and proceeded to shoot everyone, because he 'was trying to make it realistic.'
Don't worry, Kari. It's padded. He said. It will be fun. He said.
The odds were not in my favor.

With the water sources depleted, my heart calmed down. Until he placed me in a death-grip. The more I fought back the tighter the hold. Soon, he brings me to the ground. Best friend comes to save me -- he brings her down while still holding me. Not sure if I should be fearful of or impressed by his strength. Minutes later, Anna and I both surrender.

Riley receives death threats and glares from my mascara stained face.

Dry clothes are found as the men set up our backyard movie.

He gives me an apology hug and I dump a bottle of freezing cold water on his head.

Us girls decide the best punishment is cuddling with someone else during the movie.

And then Peeta's face. Movie giggles. Frozen boys.

A perfect end to summer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are such an amazing writer! I seriously thought this was an excerpt from a book for a second! Well Played Kari... Well played

kylee said...

but really, perfect.