Sunday, May 27, 2012

to the first person to make me better without changing me at all.

I'm going to go all sappy-girl on you in this letter; if I told you in person I'd probably cry and that's gross.
I just need you to know that you're wonderful:

When you got home from your mission, I kind of forced you to be my friend. And since you are a kind person, you didn't argue. I can't even tell you how grateful I am for that.

I hadn't been a good person for a long time. I was negative and cynical and selfish. And you just patted me on the head and lived your life. Soon enough, I started to notice how you spent your time and the choices you made. I saw how selfless you were and how responsible you were. I learned to trust you.

Which is pretty much the hardest thing for me to do -- trust people. But, time and again you proved that your actions matched your words. That you would follow through. I didn't trust myself, but I trusted you. I appreciate that you have opinions and goals; I appreciate that you don't ever conform for anyone. Because for pretty much my whole life, conforming is all I've done.

You taught me that my thoughts and feelings matter, because you always listened to my rants and took my side even though I am irrational and melodramatic. [And let's face it, usually in the wrong.]

For the first time in a long time, I feel happy. And I know most of that stems from the example that you've been to me. You are a lovely person and I'll continue to randomly show up on your doorstep with cookies, because you really have taught me to accept myself, to feel God's love, and to be better. And I owe you.

Also, I will totally beat down anyone for you because they're stupid and deserve it.

No comments: